Monday, August 13, 2012

The Happiest Place on Earth...

Monday, August 13, 2012

3 weeks ago I went into cardiac arrest for 12 minutes. A somewhat simple surgery turned into the scariest day of my life. I can't even begin to express how grateful I am for my surgeon, the team of doctors + nurses who never gave up, the EMS crew and my loved ones.  Good laaawwd, let's please never do that again, OK?!! Check!

My recovery has been up 'n down. I have decided to make the best of my good days and listen to my body on the more challenging ones. Today was a good one so far - no pain meds needed, left my oxygen tank at home as I enjoyed the reprieve from the humidity, took a drive through Pocantico and then picked up some groceries.

My "True Blue," aka Kristi, is in Denmark right now exploring and embracing Danish inspiration for her work via Silver Trailer. Kristi has traveled her whole life, and I am lucky to have traveled vicariously through her! Thanks to the best thing since sliced bread, we have been texting for free every day using the WhatsApp app. If they changed the name to "Instant Therapy Abroad," I'd say they were spot on. Here is one of my texts to Kris...

"For once I am letting it out, too...a little each day. It's so scary, isolating and even more so when I am in pain. Today was a good day though. Life is definitely challenging us all right now....and I continue to think about Jen and Stacy and how they found strength each day to fight forward. On the bad days, I feel really fragile, like I have no more oomph. On the good days, I want to make the most of it, whether it's making something,  sending a letter or taking a ride and admiring the iconic trees around here - they remind me of my childhood and of you."

Before Kris headed off to Coppenhagen, we joked. Denmark apparently is the happiest place on earth! To Kristi's testament, it truly IS - cuteness galore in everything from their design aesthetic, abundance of bikes + people riding them, and the Danes' love of being social...in person + sans the technology. It sounds dreamy and while Kris has her sad moments, too, we are limiting them while she is in Denmark, so as not to put a kibosh on their claim to fame...HAPPY, HAPPY, and more HAPPY!

Look what Kris put together just for me...this "good day" just got better! Lovin' the small stuff...xo.





4 comments:

  1. As always, written perfectly. Your words always touch my heart and make me want to be more and do more. Love you so much, Jay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jay,

    You were with me on that Denmark trip, that's for sure. You are my true blue inspiration, above all. My heart is always with you.

    Love you,
    K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such sweet correspondence and love here to two bffs! No matter what kind of day it is, Jay, your thoughtfulness and love for life transpires for all :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heya i'm for the first time here. I found this board and I find It truly useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and aid others like you helped me.

    My web blog: acoustic guitar chord

    ReplyDelete