Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Chinese New Year...the Year of the Tiger!




Ok, so I guess you could say I'm making up for lost time or I'm turning over a new leaf for the New Year. This is record...5+ posts in one month's time..."Inconceivable!"

Last week my family celebrated the Chinese New Year. Sweetly, the New Year landed on the same day as Valentine's Day this year so the treats were endless including everything from homemade wontons, lucky red envelopes filled with money, popping crackers and lots of chocolate hearts. The "crackers" were an unexpected addition to the festivities. But they turned out to be the most festive part of the day and reminiscent of the traditional fireworks which are set off for the New Year to scare away the evil spirits. Mom landed these silver colored crackers that resembled a wrapped candy. When you pull both of the flared ends of the cracker, it POPS and out falls some of the cutest, little prizes. They far outdid the Cracker Jack kind of toys but our favorite find were the colorful, tissue paper crowns that came in each cracker. The crowns were reminiscent of Burger King's...remember those?!!! So, I said to my brother, "Oh great. Now everyone will think we celebrated Chinese New Year at the local Burger King!" I mean we are ABCs (American Born Chinese) and their sweet 'n sour sauce is yummy but that would be pushing it. So, here's a photo of my special niece, Julia and me and here's also to a happy, healthy and lucky New Year..."Gung Xi Fat Tsai!"


1 comment:

  1. I love those paper crowns.. wish I was there to celebrate! I once wore a real BK crown all the way down the Colorado river as one of the BK River Queens. The fries were my fav growing up ;)
    Keep up the bloggin', Jay... got 4 more to go this month ;) xoxo the BKRQ

    ReplyDelete