Monday, January 3, 2011

2011...starting FRESH!

Wow, WOW, wOw...here we are, day two of 2011! This past year was like Godspeed..."Slow down, you move too fast"...What a far cry from those long summer days of my childhood when time crept by slower than one of those chubby, furry caterpillars trying to inconspicuously shimmy it's way down the sidewalk before getting squashed, POPPED, splattered and shattered of all dreams possible...What were we just talking about?!!! Oh right, the New Year...

Hand-crafted/letterpressed rolodex by Lovely Design!

One of my first goals to get the New Year started is to actually USE this beautiful handmade "rolodex" which was given to me by a dear friend. Isn't she a beauty?!! Each card is cut from beautifully textured letterpressed paper, an endless array of colors and patterns. When I received this gift nearly a year ago, I couldn't imagine taking a pen to those beautiful cards but now I'm READY!!! I'm ready to gather all of my hand-torn envelopes, with everyone's return addresses and carefully record them into this perfect, little box. It's a new beginning, a fresh start and a great project that will keep me busy and off of FB. :)


So, instead of vowing to a resolution, I have decided to reel things in a bit and to reflect at the things that have landed me here. Forty came quietly this year...no big party, no huge gathering. Jokingly, I have been telling everyone, "40 is the New Farty!" This milestone year brought with it a feeling of content and peace. I no longer felt the need to try 'n jump through hoops...40 felt just right!

"...40 felt just right!"

After being pieced back together from a chest re-section and sarcoma removal, the goal was to find strength again. It was a super sloooow recovery but soon after my final surgery and the last bandages came off, dragon boat practice was full on! EMPIRE, my cancer survivor team had an amazing and victorious second season. As the newbies in the circuit of dragon boat racing, we proved that a boat full of 21 women (and our inspiring coaches) could keep each other going AND afloat. We landed 1st place in the very last 500m race for the season down in Princeton...words could not describe the team's joy,
pride and gratification! EMPIRE at Mercer Lake, Princeton. (Sept '10)


Another memorable happening for 2010 was our participation in the Peekskill Dragon Boat Festival. My cousin, Yvonne and I took on the challenge of recruiting a rec team for this one-day event. After only one practice on the water our team "Yin Yang Dragons," experienced a day of triumph, fun and some really impressive teamwork. It was glorifying to witness twenty-something acquaintances (most of whom were 1st-time paddlers) pile row-by-row, in and out of a boat that looked like it should really have been an amusement ride at Playland Park. Race day proved to be about teamwork, believing in others and of course having fun. Yin Yang paddled our butts off and placed the best time that day for our final 200m heat...YESSSSSS!!!

Me 'n my Yin Yang girls takin' a photo op. (Aug '10)



And then there was Pea...
Probably the most pleasant surprise of the year -Keith and I rekindled our love early this Spring. Keith is my "Pea." I wouldn't necessarily call our relationship a fairytale romance OR a Greek tragedy...I think we fall somewhere in between. We have gone through happy times and challenging ones in the 9 years we have known each other. The "new" relationship is about a daily respect, friendship and continued laughs.

Pea at Fort Tortuga off of Key West after telling him I forgot to pack our lunches...just kidding, Pea. (Oct 2010)




The years to come will always be unpredictable, exciting & new and full of ups and downs. Just as excited as I am for the New Year, I am equally grateful for this past one. Much love to everyone and wishing you all a healthy and fabulous 2011!









5 comments:

  1. well don't get so busy that you stay off FB for toooo long ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohh, no worries, tee...i'm not lookin' to start a revolution here! also, thank YOU for your support always! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is to "starting fresh"! You continue to be an inspiration. xo R

    ReplyDelete
  4. yessss, R..."starting fresh" for both of us!!! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh, so now I know what you've been doing late at nite ;-) Awesome synopsis of 2010....hope 2011 is even better for you!

    ReplyDelete