Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Asian Inspiration!

Finally, a trip down to DC during the infamous Cherry Blossom Festival! The weekend couldn't have been better...we had amazing weather and our visit to see our friend's Senior Recital at Catholic University was worth the trip alone! My friend Megan and I spent the day dilly-dallying downtown DC and were immersed in the beauty of the blossoms, a breath-taking view of the Monument and a festive day of Japanese culture. We fantasized about the possibility of running into Obama but defaulted to watching him on TV in our hotel room when we realized that he had landed in France that day...maybe next visit we will be privileged with a sighting!

There was so much to see on Constitution Street but Meg and I spent a good portion of the day hovering over one particular vendor's table. This booth was selling handmade stuffed animals...but these were not your usual GUNDS! These adorable, charming, little animals were sewn from vintage kimono fabric, much resembling patchwork. They had kittys, bunnies (just in time for Easter) and even those cell-phone trinkets that dangle from your phone. Soooooo, freakin' CUTE!!! I had to get just one (I'm trying to downsize with the chotchkes) for my friend, Eileen's little girl, Maggie. Eileen loves all things vintagey and orange so I thought the kittys below were perfect! They remind me of Eileen and Maggie...that's just how they look when they are hugging each other, cute and super happy!




I thought to also add a photo of this vintage fabric which hangs in my living room. It was originally displayed in our family's Chinese restaurant, the Shanghai Inn and used to adorn a screen which separated the dining area from the kitchen. My mom passed it along to me a few years ago (I wondered if it would smell of our signature Pu Pu Platter, which back in the 70's seemed to be the most popular appetizer at the Shang, but it didn't...SCORE!) so I decided to have it stretched onto a canvas. I love the Chinese cloud motif...it is often seen in Chinese art. Anyway, shortly after hanging this fabric, I received my monthly subscription to Domino Mag (boo hoo, they recently closed their doors) and found that one of their featured interior designers used the same fabric to re-upholster a couch...how funny, right?!!!

1 comment:

  1. hey jj, i didn't know that about domino! you think they got their fabric from those shang screens too?? ;-)

    ReplyDelete