Friday, December 2, 2011

SantaCon, Ready or Not!

So, let's speed date for a sec so I can give you a quick little back story...


I decided to launch and organize a SantaCon Event in my hometown with some friends...we are putting Tarrytown + Sleepy Hollow on the map for the holidays! Anyway, SantaCon is a world-wide event...a day where everyone has the opportunity to be Santa or at least some version of Santa. Ohhh, did I mention that there will also be drinking involved? Now let's roll ahead...planning, organizing, brainstorming, soliciting, inviting, stressing, and more planning. Surprisingly everything is coming together quite nicely!  The local bars that we will be dropping by for "Santa Snacks" and if we're lucky, a "Santa Shot," are excited to participate AND donate (although SantaCons do not usually charge participants, I felt like I wanted to bring more meaning to the "mostly drinking" event so I've requested a $10 donation or toy from our newbie Santas, which will benefit the children at Blythedale).


Anyway, let me finally get to the point of my post here..."Our costumes arrived!!!" I ordered a regular adult size for me, an XXL for Pea (he has loooong arms). Never in my wildest dreams did I think twice about how I might look in a Santa suit, after all costumes are required, encouraged and just plain fun. Whhhhheeellll, was I stopped completely in my tracks in my cheap, fake fur-lined, black, felt, pretend boots! After putting on all 7 pieces (shirt, pants, belt, hat, Goldilocks-curly white beard/mustache - which came in a white hairnet...Eeeuuuwww!, pretend boot #1, and finally pretend boot #2) of my Party City costume, I spun around to look at myself in our full-length mirror.


"UUGGGGHHH...Chinese Santa looks STOOOPIE!!!"  I began to sweat under my Snuggie-esque top, probably more so out of disappointment. The fake fur was making me itchy and when I wrapped the super long belt around my middle, it actually made me look fatter...no stuffing required (weeeeemp-wwhhaaaaahhhh).


Ohhhhh, wait...it gets better! I managed to keep the beard/mustache thingy from slipping down around my neck (at one point I thought to wear it as hair on my head instead but that just made me look like George Washington). I adjusted my hat one more time and tip-toed out to the living room where Pea was peacefully sleeping, light snore included. I tapped him on the shoulder and quickly stepped back so he could see me in good view. Pea's eyes began to un-glue, and I bellowed out in my deepest acting-voice, "HO HO HO ...Merrrryyyyy..."  Pea shook, his eyes WIDE and crazed-looking now and then scolded, "UUUGGGGHHH, you SCARED me!!!!  And HOW original...Ho Ho Ho, REALLY?!!"


Geeeesh, he didn't even let me finish my schpeel. "What did I do? Why ya mad at me?!!" That's what I was thinking.  Maybe I should have ordered him a Scrooge costume instead...haha!  I hope your holidays are as fun as ours...


* Note: Sorry there are no pictures to post tonight. I'll be sure to capture the craziness after December 16th when SantaCon in Tarrytown/Sleepy Hollow lets loose or hopefully you can join the festivities and experience it yourself!

4 comments:

  1. I am cracking up! How am I just reading this now?!

    I can just see the whole Santa "dress up" like I was there in the room with your story, I love it. You looked adorable too, silly Ho Ho Ho girl!

    Love you & love your posts.

    K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, kris...always some good comic relief goin' on here. love you...here's to more blogging in twenty-twelve. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Santacon was awesome this year Jay...we all missed you. Reading your description just made me lol and remember the original night with you. Thanks for starting another wonderful Tarrytown/SH event that we will forever remember you by xo

    ReplyDelete