Wednesday, January 26, 2011

"I can't pay the rent."

So, at the moment, I am fancying mustaches.  Mustaches have become the hottest thing (replacing owls) and are showing up on everything from t-shirts, jewelry and kitchy home goods.  They are even popping up as the main "funny" at weddings and events.  I can't exactly pinpoint why I have such an affinity for them, but I think I've narrowed it down to two possibilities:


1.  I can now proudly sport my stache, my little "fumanchu" if I may. OR  2.  My love for that silly, little skit from childhood which somehow provided hours of entertainment as a kid.


I can't think of anyone more who would enjoy this post than some of my sisters.  My sister, Nancy and I never seemed to tire of some good ol' fashioned fun.  We meticulously folded pleats onto a piece of paper like a fan, pinched it in the middle section and then used it for our performance...


a.  (Place fanned piece of paper under nose) - "You MUST pay the rent," in a deep, scary voice.  This is the villain.


b.  (Quickly move the folded paper to the top of your head, slightly off to one side) - "I can't pay the rent," in a mousy, pleading voice.  She is the damsel in distress, who has no money to pay the rent because she has spent way above her means like the rest of us.


c.  Repeat steps a. and b. as many times as you like (I think Nan and I averaged about 6 rounds or so.  I know, I know...we were weren't creative yet and therefore no improv occurred...EVER!!!)  So, don't forget the hand/paper motions, too...paper under nose, then on your head, under your nose, on your head.


d.  After the final cry, "I can't pay the rent!" here comes Money Bags!  (Paper fan gets placed under your chin) - "I'll pay the rent," in a manly-man kinda voice.


e.  (One last time on top of the head with full-on girl voice) - "My HEROOOO!!!"


f.  (And then final placement of the paper thingy, which by this point no longer looks like a hair bow, a mustache OR a bow tie...it looks like a nothing AND it's sweaty.  Just put it under your nose one more time) - "RATS...foiled again!!!"  And if you can keep the voices straight, you are way more talented than we were. ;)


Don't confuse Nan for Spock or Charlie Chaplin...she's just the Villain.

Acting can be grueling sometimes.
Love you, Nan!  Thanks for the fun memories...even though you tricked me into skipping down Manor Close with my eyes closed while trying to balance on the sidewalk and I wiped out and ripped through my best favorite white tights. ;)  







6 comments:

  1. I loved reading this.. until I saw my photo! Egads!! (Akho expression). it was Mom.. she cut it. thankfully, mullets, flat, greasy and bad hairdos were the thing of the 70s. And wouldn't that be nice if someone paid our rent?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nan, you were a beauty even back then! And, yes...Ma got carried away with trying to even out your pin-straight bangs but you wore them well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Love this. Thanks for sharing. You and Nancy are too cute in the photos. Sister love is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Kat! Nan and I were #9 and #10 in the pecking order so we sure did share some priceless time together...so very different but connected to say the least!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol! Love this post. My bf loves moustaches. When I saw your title that super cheesy 80s song started looping in my head...
    'there ain't nothin goin on but the rent! Got te get a j-o-b if you wana be with meeee'

    =D visiting from blogging your way forum

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi claire! thanks so much for dropping in on my blog. i'm happy to hear it made you laugh. :) GOOD LORD, your blog is total eye candy!!! i can't wait to peek around and glad to meet you thru BYW! :)))

    ReplyDelete